Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pork Ribs Adobo Style

This is a recipe given to me by my Tita Paqui, my aunt living in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.  She made this dish for me when I was visiting her this past few weeks.  The seasoning blend makes me thnk this recipe has been passed down as part of the Maurish tradition in Spain.  The use of pork ribs I find to be a bit ironic, since Spain was predominantly Muslim during the Maurish period.  In any case, this make a super dish is great.


Ingredients

2 - 3 lbs. pork ribs, cut into serving size pieces
2 onions, sliced
olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
water

Heat up olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven.  Brown the ribs on each side one by one in the olive oil.  Remove from the pan.  Fry the onions in the pan until translucent, then add garlic.  Add the paprika, cumin, oregano and bay leaves to the pot.  Then stack the ribs into pot.  Add the wine vinegar and add water to cover the ribs.  Bring to a boil and cover, reducing heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.  After about 1 hour, remove lid and bring heat to a medium-high and cook until the sauce thickens.  Serve over fried or boiled potatoes or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment