Translate

Monday, August 12, 2013

Käsesuppe mit Porree (Cheese Soup with Leeks)

 This is my version of a recipes I got from the side of a package of leeks I bought at a grocery store here in Germany.  After seeing the originial recipe, I did some research online to look at other versions.  Most of them did not have mushrooms, and if I made it again, I may omit the mushrooms, but since I'm a big fan I figured they would be yummy.  Also, no version of this recipe called for garlic, but it is very difficult for me to make a dish without garlic.  This is what I came up with.  This soup is certainly not healthy, but super super delicious.  Most of the recipes I found said to make the soup one day, chill and serve the next.  Because I looked up the recipes on the same day it was not possible, but the leftover the following day were divine!




1 lb. ground meat (beef and pork mixture)
4 strips bacon, chopped
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 stalks leeks, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
400 g. cream cheese (roughly one package)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1.5 liter broth

In a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat, add the bacon.  Then cook until the bacon release its fat and the bacon begins to crisp.  Then add the onions and leeks.  Cook for about 5 minutes until they soften.  Then add the ground meat, stirring so the meat does not clump together while browning.  Add the mushrooms, garlic and dried herbs and stir well.   Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, lower broth to a simmer for about 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, add the cream cheese and mix until blended.  At this point you can allow the soup to cool, then transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator overnight.  You could alternatively just put the dutch oven in the fridge if you had enough room.  Reheat the next day and serve with bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment