Translate

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Spanish Giant White Bean Soup with Chorizo

I was hoping to make something that was a bit like a white bean stew I had in Plaza Mayor in Madrid.  I saw these beans at the Mediterranean grocery store in my neighborhood thought that they would be great to make this soup.  I soaked the beans overnight as indicated on the package.  The beans got a lot bigger overnight.  They were very similiar to something I've eaten in a Greek restaurant that were called Elephant Beans.  I cooked them in my pressure cooker for over 45 minutes with the vegetable that my mother told me to use and chorizo.  Although the beans were big, the stew tasted incredible.  My chorizo had a slightly smoked flavor and it made the stew taste a bit smokey, yum!


1 lb. giant white beans
1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, cut into big chunks
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
salt and pepper
olive oil
water from soaking beans

Soak the beans overnight in water.  Make sure you use a big bowl as the beans will expand in the water.  In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and cook until translucent.  Then add the pepper and stir.  Then take the cloves are garlic and smash them on a cutting board with the blade of a knife.  Place the garlic cloves into the pot.  Then add the bay leaves and sweet paprika.  Dump the beans into the pot with the soaking liquid.  Make sure the you have about twice as much volume of water as beans.  Then place the the chorizo into the pot.  Bring the pot to a boil and lower to a simmer.  Cover the pot and let simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.  Taste the stew and see if you need to add any salt (The chorizo is salty and you may not need to add much salt).  Serve with beans on the bottom and a big piece of chorizo on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment